What's in a Name?

4.12.2006

race plans

So the King and I talked about my races for the summer and he raised some really valid concerns about my training plans. When I first got into triathlons I worked out and kept a training log and followed a plan, but I was pretty laissez faire as well. I didn't really drink because it was hard to train the next day, but I took time off to hang out and do things too. My last year of racing I set my sights on a longer race (olympic - which was longer for me!) and I think that scared me into becoming a bit of a freak about training. I was getting pretty obsessive about training and I would stress out about missing workouts and skip off days until I finally was just wiped out and cranky. Needless to say he doesn't want that to happen again and is worried about the impact of juggling training and two little kids will have on all of us.
But I don't want it to happen again either; so we have reached a compromise. We are both planning to do a 5k road race to benefit Children's Hospital at the end of May. Then I will sign up for a sprint tri in July and after we see how things are going possibly more in August/early Sept. I am only planning to do sprints this year, since I want to ensure that I can handle the distance and the training required (I know I can handle the swim in an Oly and probably the bike, but the run kills me).
I think the King is happy with this approach and I know that I am. I don't want to be crazy workout lady again, but I like working towards goals. Goals are good.

No comments: