What's in a Name?

8.21.2009

balance

It's that time again. Elementary school has started and preschool is only a week and a half away. Baseball starts this weekend. Soccer starts on Monday. It's time for carpool schedules and 'quick dinner' nights. It's time for Saturday morning's "divide and conquer", with one boy on the soccer field and one on the baseball field. Plus Isabel needs a nap or two every day.


Despite all this, I am still training for a triathlon. It's only a month away, but I wish it was sooner. I am a person who likes to be prepared. Because there are three sports to train for, I feel a lot of pressure to get a couple sessions in each sport every week. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the training. Surprisingly, I an even enjoying the running, but I just don't feel like I have enough time to do it all. Given all of our other commitments, I feel like I am cutting corners on my training. I know that this isn't the Olympics and I'm not in any danger of becoming a professional triathlete, but when I commit to something I like to be prepared for it. I could go out tomorrow and complete the race, but I want to compete. I want to do better than I have in the past. I want to achieve.

But when I decided to become a wife and mother to many little ones, I learned to put the needs of others before my own. And their needs truly are more important than my race. Sometimes I still struggle with that lesson, but in the end it is all about balance. =)

No comments: