What's in a Name?

5.05.2010

toddler love

Isabel loves me.  For a two-year-old to love her mother is no surprise, but at times I am overwhelmed by her love.  It is absolutely wonderful to know that this beautiful little person thinks I am the center of the world (or rather, that she is the center of my world), but it can be a little troublesome as well.  Since she was a year old she would push her brothers out of my lap when we were cuddling, only now she accompanies that action with an angry, "My Mommy!".   I can't count the times that she refused basic care from her father in deference to me.  Tonight, after insisting that I get her out of her car seat, she flat out would not let Andy give her a bath.  She ran from him yelling, "No, no, Papa.  Mommy give Izzy bath.".  The men of the house all seem to take these antics in stride.  However, I worry that she will eventually hurt Andy's feelings, and I certainly feel like I miss out on some quality time with the boys.  I cannot read with them at bedtime without her planting herself right in the middle of the action. 
But I adore my little girl.  She's funny and sweet and such a joy to all of us.  There are times when I literally yearn for her cuddles and affection, but my feelings pale in comparison with the fierce intensity of her love.  I admit, there is a part of me that hopes this will never change.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once she figures out how wrapped around her little finger her father is, I'm sure things will change. Miss you guys!
love, Aunt Jo

Trish Clifford said...

My Mom tells the story that I was a 100% Momma's girl. Like Izzy I wouldn't let my Daddy do anything for me. Until I was around the two year mark and she had to fly out to California for a family emergency. Once she got home I wouldn't have anything to do with her and it took a much longer time for her to fall back into my good graces than the amount of time she was gone. I hope Izzy continues to be a Momma's girl without hurting Andy's feelings. Such a fine line to walk.

annie422 said...

I would refuse my Dads kisses and basically ignore him completely. Did take long until I turned into a Daddy's girl. I always wondered how that impacted my mom. Sammy is a mama's boy for the moment, yelling at the girls when they have the audacity to get in my lap. I'm loving every second b/c I know, before too long it will be all about Daddy.