What's in a Name?

1.03.2012

Doubt Me

Last night I dreamt that a poem I had recently written was getting published.  Clearly this was a dream, since it has been about fifteen years since my poetry writing days.  But in my dream I was a writer of poetry and a pretty good one at that.  The poem that was getting recognition was bitter and more than a little pissed off, kind of like an Ani DiFranco song I used to listen to in my "single in the city" days when dating was complicated and sometimes painful. 
But this poem wasn't about dating or even about writing.  It was my response to someone who thought I was incapable of doing something.  It was about someone doubting me and I was mad.  My dream never revealed who didn't believe in me or what they thought I could not do; the dream did made it clear that I not only proved myself, but went on to write about it.
I woke up feeling surprised.  First of all, I am surrounded by the most supportive and encouraging family and friends, and I cannot think of anyone who would tell me that I cannot achieve something that I want to do.  Second, I was surprised that doubt could be such a motivator for me.  Cognitively, I understand that "proving yourself" relies on some amount of doubt, but I rarely feel like I have anything to prove.  Mostly, I was surprised at the anger I felt toward whomever doubted me in my dream. 
I really wish I could remember that poem.

1 comment:

annie422 said...

I would NOT want to be the person who ever doubted you couldn't accomplish something you set out to do. Not that I would, but I would be terrified of your response! :)