What's in a Name?

4.10.2011

Right of Passage

Devin took a spill while flying down a hill on his scooter.  I had my back to him when I heard the screaming and crying, and I expected blood; lots and lots of blood.  But alas, there was a little road rash on his leg, but otherwise no blood.  But there was lots of arm pain.  We put some ice on it and he certainly cried more than his usual injury, but it wasn't until his teeth started chattering that I decided an ER visit was in order.  At triage the doctor started talking about a broken wrist.  Then the x-ray, and you didn't need to be a radiologist to confirm it.  The verdict: hairline fracture of the ulna and fracture with angulation of the radius (think of when you try to break a stick and it half breaks and bends - that was his bone). Which meant that we needed to go to an orthopedic doctor to get the bone set (straightened) and casted. 


I think it's a right of passage for little boys to break a bone, especially little boys who love to play sports.  Now if I could keep him off the top of the monkey bars...

No comments: