What's in a Name?

1.20.2011

Mother of the Year

My friends and I joke about the different actions or occurrences that inevitably will take us out of the running for the elusive "Mother of the Year" award.  I had my first one last night, when I forgot to put Devin to bed.
In my defense, it was a really busy day where I was going non-stop from the moment I dropped the boys off at school in the morning.  I had a dentist appointment and two volunteer sessions at school, which were separated by a quick workout at the gym.  Then after errands and picking the boys up at school (Izzy chose to nap in the car), I brought Alex to the hospital to have dinner with his classmate who is recovering there.  We got home at 7:30 in time for bed.  I put Alex down but let Devin stay up to read for a few minutes, which is our normal routine.  I put Izzy to bed and went down to talk to Andy.  Then I hopped online for the first time that day to catch up on things.  Andy had a conference call at 9:00 and I went up shortly thereafter to get ready to bed.  I was cuddled up in my jammies and half way through an episode of "Desperate Housewives" when Devin came in.  At first I was really confused... he did not appear to have a bloody nose and he wasn't vomiting, so why wasn't he sleeping?  Then he said indignantly, "Mom, you forgot to put me to bed!". 
It was 9:45pm, and I put myself to bed before my seven-year-old.

1 comment:

annie422 said...

This made me laugh out loud.