What's in a Name?

1.02.2011

Uno

During our at-home New Years celebration, we introduced the kids to the card game Uno.  We wanted to do a family game night that did not include electronics, but was interesting, fun and simple enough for all to enjoy.  The game Uno fit the bill and we had a grand time.  The boys loved it.  Isabel humored us by playing with the cards and sitting in Andy's lap, but clearly she has some growing to do before this kind of game holds her interest.  Alex was a big winner that night, and Andy and I each managed to win a game, but Devin was not so lucky.  The next night the boys and I played again (at their request/insistence) and Alex was again a big winner.  I also managed to win a couple games, at which time Alex would whine or even cry, but Devin was again unlucky. 
But Devin didn't cry.  He didn't win, and he didn't cry or whine.  Devin was clearly unhappy, but for the first time that I can recall he lost well.  Devin is the most competitive child I know and he's a little quick to tears, so frequently any kind of loss for him is followed by crying.  But two nights in a row he lost game after game without tears.  This is huge for him.  I told Devin that I was proud of him for being a good sport and for handling his loss so well.  It's only a silly card game with his family, but I am seriously proud of him. 
This is just one example of many that demonstrates to me that my little Devin really is starting to become a big kid.

No comments: