What's in a Name?

2.17.2012

Among the Chaos

It was a crazy day.  It started with a particularly loud carpool of five kids and lots of drama and attitude and requests for different music, turn it up, put on a show. "He won't give my book back.  It's mine!".  There were items forgotten at school.  There were tears.  We got home and there were kids who needed a snack, who couldn't find their soccer socks, who needed help with homework, who couldn't unzip their coats.  All of it, right now!! Right Now!! 
After a brief forty-five minutes at home, we had to leave.  "Let's move!  We are going to be late for Devin's last soccer game of the indoor season!"  Find the socks, fill the water bottles, zip the coat, bring the homework for the car trip...  Then the team lost, and Devin was done playing with the team that he played with since August.  He was a little sad. 
On the way home, I decided that we all needed to mellow out a bit, and switched the radio to the Grateful Dead station.  As we were pulling into the neighborhood, China - Rider came on (a two song combo that happens to be one of my favorites).  I pulled into the garage and just sat there for a minute to listen. 
Andy came out of the house and got the kids.  He brought them and the noise and chaos into the house with him and closed the door.  He started dinner and brought me a glass of wine, handing it to me through the open car window. 
I love this man.  He gets me.

No comments: