What's in a Name?

7.19.2006

4 days til race time

So its four days until my first triathlon in four years and I'm fighting a virus. It started a couple days ago with a sore throat (which resulted in laryngitis) and a chest cold. I went to the doc today and she said that my lungs sound clear, but when she gave me the lung test where you blow into a spirometer I couldn't even move it half way. Clearly my doctor was surprised, since she explained how to complete the test again, and had me try again. My results were the same. Pretty poor lung function for someone who is planning to compete in a race in a couple days. I think I need my lungs for my tri. She put me on a steriod (prednisone) and an albuterol inhaler. She also told me that I need to listen to my body and if I am not healthy enough to race I should skip it. Or if I start and find my lungs aren't doing well I should quit. The latter would be pretty tough for me; I would find it hard to quit once I've started. Actually either skipping or quitting would be hard for me, but I won't race if I'm not better. Its not worth it. I want my first time back to be a good racing experience. So I have a couple days to get healthy. Hopefully rest and the wonders of modern meds will do the trick.

No comments: