What's in a Name?

7.24.2006

I'm baaack!

don't call it a come back; i've been here for years...

or rather I've been on the sidelines for years... but I'm back! When I got up at 5:30 race-day morning it was pouring. I mean pouring! Thunder, lightening the whole bit... and I started thinking, "Should I really do this? Given my recent health issues and the weather, is this all a sign that I should just skip it this morning?" But then I reminded myself that triathlons are not for the weak! By the time I got to the race site the rain had slowed to a drizzle and things were looking good. I set up my transition area, scouted the entry and exit points, waited in the hour long line for the port-o-let and had time to kiss all my boys before heading to the sand. The weather was perfect - dry, little sunny, mid-seventies. However, the swim was a little tough. I really struggled to find an open place to swim, and I couldn't seem to get into any kind of a rhythm until well into the swim. I didn't really feel like my chest was tight (thanks goodness!) but I really didn't feel smooth either. I was just off. But the bike was good. I think that between the extra time spent on my trainer and the hills around my house, I really made some improvements on the bike. It was great. The run started out tough; I had a pretty solid cramp in my left calf, which hung on until about 8 minutes into the run. I didn't feel like I was moving well; in fact at first the only people I passed on the run were walking. When we went into the trail section of the run, the craziness really began. All the rain from the last couple days, plus all the people in the three waves in front of me made the trail into a pure mud-path. Everyone was mostly just trying to move from one rock to another to avoid the giant mud puddles. I even ran right out of each of my shoes at different points. When I got back on the road, it felt like each foot was an extra five pounds, and the mud was just flying off my feet as I ran. However, I think the trail re-energized me because I started feeling good again. I finished in 1:25:04 - a time with which I am quite happy. I am a little bummed about my swim (clocking my slowest swim in my triathlon history), thrilled about my bike (probably one of my fastest) and overall I am quite proud of my come back!

No comments: