What's in a Name?

7.22.2006

tomorrow's the big day

So as recently as yesterday I thought I might not race tomorrow. We all had a rough morning on Friday, since Henry was up from 11 - 2am and the Wills got up at 7am. So tired. I went for a run around lunch time (87 degrees and humid) and felt pretty crappy the first five minutes. My chest felt seriously tight; lungs not expanding to full capacity. It got much better, but the beginning of the run really dissapointed me. I really wish I had gotten better rest, but I can't pinpoint that as the thing that I need to get better. Do I need rest? time? meds?... all of the above? At any rate, I decided to swim this morning to see how I felt and to finally decide if I would race tomorrow. I had a really good swim. My chest was still tight at first, but it got better as I went. I swam a 500 in 8 minutes, which is typical for a training swim, and I felt good afterward. I am a little concerned about the race tomorrow, since I haven't done any long workouts since this virus took me down. And during my run yesterday I kept thinking, "I have to start running an hour after I started racing. Can my lungs handle this?". I hate doubting myself. Its tough enough to prepare for my first race in four years, but to struggle with my health on top of it only adds strain and uncertainty. I really want a victorious comeback, but I might have to settle for just doing my best given the situation. After all, there are other races...

No comments: