What's in a Name?

7.12.2010

to tri or not to tri...

That is the debate. 
It's summer.  For the past ten (or so) years, summer for me has been triathlon season, unless of course I was pregnant or nursing a new born.  Those summers I had a legitimate reason to sit out a season.  But now it's summer and I love triathlons.  I love training, I love racing and I love trying to better my previous race times. 
Last weekend Andy did his first sprint tri and I was so excited for him.  He had a great race and it was really fun to encourage him in this new achievement.  But I love competing too, and I am starting to miss triathlons.  Last summer was tough because I was training for tri's and Andy was working out a lot.  He had made a new commitment to becoming a healthier person and I was absolutely behind that*!  We found it challenging to manage our training schedules while caring for the kids and trying to get workouts done before the Carolina heat set in each day. 
Now this summer I have been running and swimming, but I only started training for my half marathon (racing on Labor Day) a few weeks ago.  Part of me thought I might so a tri this summer, but between my other training, and all of our summer travel plans, I thought it would be difficult to do everything that I want to do.  I had my eye on a race in August (between our trips to Chicago and Boston) but haven't registered yet because I'm not sure how to manage all the training.  It is difficult to find time to training for three sports while caring for three kids.  Plus, I am already committed to running three times per week to prepare for my half marathon.  So the question is: can I realistically train in swimming and biking in three days each week (because we all need a rest day)?  I'm not sure that I can.  To be fair, I know that I could go out tomorrow and complete a sprint triathlon.  But I have completed a lot of sprint triathlons.  If I do another one, I want to be competitive.  I want to do well. 
Now Andy is thinking about training for another tri in a couple months and he is not really excited about both of us vying for workout time in the morning, especially since I am starting to do longer runs.  Is it realistic that we could both train?  Should I just focus on the half marathon and let him be the reigning triathlete in the household this summer?  Should maintain my current training and then go out and wing it in a sprint triathlon and hope for the best?  I wish I had an easy answer.

Andy after finishing his first Triathlon!!


*  For the record, Andy has lost 50 lbs since last spring and looks amazing.  Hubba Hubba!

No comments: