What's in a Name?

8.23.2008

growing up

Devin had his first day of school yesterday. It was an early morning, made more so my Isabel's hour long binki issues the night before, but he left the house with a huge smile on his face and looking adorable in his little uniform. He loved school. He came home singing new songs and telling me all about the rules (and about the girl who went on yellow her first day!) and asking if he could buy his lunch in the cafeteria. So school was great. The bus ride home was not. Devin's bus driver resembles a defensive lineman and when he yelled at the noisy kids at the back of the bus to sit down, he made quite an impression on the little kindergartner in the front row. Add to that new situation the fact that Dev was tired and hungry and I think a little overwhelmed by his first day, and we have the recipe for tears. Luckily he held it together until he got off the bus, but he told me that he was scared of his bus driver. We agreed to try the bus another couple times and if it doesn't work we will figure something else out. He told me that when school was over he just wanted me. That of course just pulled on the heart strings, but given that both Isabel and Alex were napping while I was waiting for the bus to come... he just might need to take one for the team. I am hopeful that after a couple times he will get more comfortable.


Earlier today I asked Andy to water my flowers. I didn't ask Devin to do it because we were headed out shortly and I knew if he watered the plants he would wind up soaking wet. A few minutes later I looked out the window to see Andy spraying both boys with the hose... best laid plans, right? So Andy walked over to talk to the neighbor and a minute later I saw Devin sneaking up behind him with a bucket of water. I couldn't see the actual attack, but later when Andy entire back side was dripping wet, I knew Devin was successful. now all three Blake boys needed to change clothes before we left, but I had to laugh - Devin is learning the art of payback. Between that and school, my little man is getting all grown up!!

No comments: