What's in a Name?

8.24.2011

Here he comes!

Alex is a smart kid.  We have known that for ages, but a psychologist confirmed that for us a year and a half ago when he was IQ tested.  So I wasn't phased when he was reading the "Rising Second Grade" books this summer... before starting first grade.  I was pretty impressed when he picked up a math sheet a couple weeks ago and knocked out the double digit addition (without carrying... but still!).  Then last night he amazed me.  As a stall tactic at bedtime, Alex asks us to give him math problems.  I decided to challenge him a bit, and I gave him this one.
"I have fifteen jelly beans and I want to give them to you, Devin and Isabel.  How many do I give to each of you so that it's fair and you have the same amount."  Alex was quiet for about ten or fifteen seconds, and then he said, "Five each".  So he's doing division. in his head. and he's six. 

Have fun in first grade tomorrow, little man!!

1 comment:

the mama bird diaries said...

Wow. You have one smart cookie on your hands!