What's in a Name?

11.29.2012

Thankful - Day 29

My sister and some friends on Facebook are doing "Thirty Days of Thankful" for the month of November. Each day they are posting something in their lives for which they are grateful. I decided to do the same, but will write it here instead.

Day 29

Before my half ironman, I met with a nutritionist and coach to get some advice on how to train and fuel appropriately for a race of this duration.  She was great.  She created a training plan for me that accommodated my foot issues while building a sound fitness level for the race and created a nutrition plan that allowed me to drop a few pounds without dieting or feeling hungry. 
After the race, I assessed my weaknesses and decided to ask her to coach me in running and cycling.  Other than junior high track, I have never been coached in running.  Given that I was a swim coach, I know how important proper form and technique are for building strength and efficiency.  Yet, I never learned about proper running form or cycling strategies.  Until today.  We did a mile warm-up, and then moved on to a four mile tempo run (for the non-runners, a tempo run is faster than comfortable, but not race pace).  She coached me on my foot strike, body position and cadence.  She paced me well and pushed me when needed.  We ran four miles at an average pace of about 8:20.  I felt like a rockstar!!  Today, I am thankful for my awesome run.

No comments: