What's in a Name?

11.06.2012

Thankful - Day 6

My sister and some friends on Facebook are doing "Thirty Days of Thankful" for the month of November. Each day they are posting something in their lives for which they are grateful. I decided to do the same, but will write it here instead.

Day 6

Today I sat on the couch and read six books to Isabel.  Devin was late for carpool yesterday because he got a new book and sat down on the steps to read, losing track of time.  Alex is finally getting the reading bug (after some disinterest) and he is about thirty-five books into the goal of reading one hundred books by the end if the school year.  I am thankful for reading.  I love to read, and never go more than a couple days between books.  Sometimes I read sequentially and sometimes I have a couple books going at once.  I read historical fiction, chick-lit, Newbery winners, 'young adult' authors, traditional 'literature' and sometimes mysteries and non-fiction. 
My love of reading is a gift from my mother, who I can still picture curled up on the couch reading and either twirling her hair or tucking her cold nose into the top of her turtleneck.  I can only hope that my kids inherit this love, this gift of unlocking a new world, one page at a time. 

No comments: